Sunday, July 31, 2005
The Big Buddha
I'm trying out this whole 'blogging from flickr.com' thing.
Oh, you want more?
Well, I guess that's ok, I've got a few things to say.
This is the Tian Tan Buddha just outside the Po Lin Monastery on Lantau Island in the SAR of Hong Kong. We got to Lantau by boat, and took a bus to the monastery (great air-con). During this time, mist started to come down, and when we arrived, the top of the hill on which the statue rests was covered in a shroud of fog. In a suitably dramatic manner, the mist started to be blown away, and a large shape started to loom out. Soon, the whole statue could be seen, but not for to long, as Tian Tan was covered again. After clambering up the 268 steps I could appreciate the impressive size of it (I almost typed 'him'), and the craftsmanship involved. There are more photographs on the Flickr link thing a bit further down. Any Questions?
Oh, you want more?
Well, I guess that's ok, I've got a few things to say.
This is the Tian Tan Buddha just outside the Po Lin Monastery on Lantau Island in the SAR of Hong Kong. We got to Lantau by boat, and took a bus to the monastery (great air-con). During this time, mist started to come down, and when we arrived, the top of the hill on which the statue rests was covered in a shroud of fog. In a suitably dramatic manner, the mist started to be blown away, and a large shape started to loom out. Soon, the whole statue could be seen, but not for to long, as Tian Tan was covered again. After clambering up the 268 steps I could appreciate the impressive size of it (I almost typed 'him'), and the craftsmanship involved. There are more photographs on the Flickr link thing a bit further down. Any Questions?
